Wednesday, March 12, 2008
the rhythms of life
This is a peculiar place: an artificial island made out of tiny sea shells. Her twin town lies on the mainland and linked by a bridge, you arrive to this small village constructed on shells over shells over shells over shells....
Whoever knows me a little, knows that I love shells. You always can find shells in my pockets, in my camera's bag, on my desk... So, finding this place was like finding a big pirate's treasure (shhhh now I have with me a small treasure chest full of these african shells). Walking around hearing the shells crunching underfoot made me forget about the rest of the world. This village has no motorised transport, people just walk through a labyrinth of small and narrow streets. It is like time can't cross that bridge, and being here listening the sound of the shells under my feet, I just forgot that I was sick, with no water and under a hot and strong sun. Life in pure slow motion. And that is another treasure hard to find.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Zanzibar?
No, it is somewhere down to the south of the senegalese coast. Zanzibar is one of the places I would like to go, but now there is another quite interesting assignment likely in schedule (Mali) inchalah...
Post a Comment