Monday, September 15, 2008

Perpignan

Photo © 2008 Ana Yturralde

Photo © 2008 Ana Yturralde

I did not take any pictures in Perpignan (the above are from Dak'art off 08) but saw a lot of great photography there during the Visa pour l'Image Festival although I could not make it for all the exhibitions. Lack of time and two many things to do, but enjoyed a personal slideshow at the apple computers located in the Palais des congres, a crowded exhibition at the Couvent des Minimes (although the size of the pictures was too small) and a gorgeous night projection at the Campo Santo including the "RFK Funeral Train" by Paul Fusco and amazing photos of many other photographers.

In general, special mention to the work of photographers Alexandra Boulat, Paula Bronstein, Paolo Pellegrin, Munem Wasif and Brent Stirton. But what made this week really interesting was the experience of showing work to the agencies editors, the oportunity of hanging out with some of the best actual photographers in the world as my dear David Alan Harvey or bumping from time to time into other great photographers as Paolo Pellegrin, Paul Fusco, Munem Wasif, Nick Nichols, Kadir Von Lohuizen, Philip Blenkinsop or Jason P. Howe (veteran war photographer in Iraq, Afganistan and Lebanon, six years in Colombia, two years in Baghdad, and numerous assignments in very unstable situations without a scratch, and then one night in Perpignan after the evening projections and in his way to Cafe Le Poste where we all met every day for having a drink and chat, he was jumped by five guys that attacked him and beat him lefting his face full of wounds. Senseless.)

Definitely a great experience. After it, I'm even more hungry for photography!!!

6 comments:

iamkatia said...

you didn't make any photos in Perpignan? whyyy??

but it sounds like you had a wonderful time. i'm so glad. :)

aNaY said...

I took the camera with me all the time (and it was heavy!) but I never took it out from the bag. Why? I wasn't in the mood I guess.... I was just living the time there, interested in meeting people, chatting, showing work, walking around, making the exhibitions.... Did you see Casey's feature from Perpignan? I really enjoyed it as I see there all the people I met, moments I lived and the great mood around!
BTW, I missed you! (and DAH mentioned you once!)

iamkatia said...

what did he say? (hehe)

can you link me to casey's feature?

i really wish i could afford to travel and go to perpignan and look3 and all of that. maybe some day, uh? ;)
i'm just happy to hear that you and others had such a wonderful time. i have been happy here with my street family so i cannot complain at all.

big hug to you, lovely ana!))))

aNaY said...

Katia, you can take a look here.

Look3 is on my mind too. Maybe next year.... will keep you informed and maybe you can do it too!

I'm sure you were happy with your street family. I remember you were sooo looking forward to the end of the classes and have time to be free with your boys...

Ah, and David talked about your assignment in a very positive way. He thinks it is good!! ;-)

Big hug to you too, sweet Katia :-)))

iamkatia said...

it's good to know he 'thinks it is good'. :)

when i started it i didn't know that other people (MEM, Eugene Richards, Jim Goldberg) had done photo work with street kids. but it wouldn't matter if i had known cos my heart so fully called me to do this. and to Live this. they have enriched my life so much.

i love what the great photographer, Sally Mann, said here:

"The things that are close to you are the things you can photograph the best. And unless you photograph what you love, you're not going to make good art."

i believe this too. we must Love our subjects.
i know you understand this very well, ana.
that's why i come here and that's why i feel so close to you.

:))

aNaY said...

Yes, we must love our subjects and we must love photography. I just wish I could transmit even more that love through my images...
And seeying your kids photos you can tell how deep you are involved with them. You can feel your concern, your care.... and you can feel it through their eyes. Your "subject" loves you too, Katia :-)
It is so incredible warm to feel you close. Thanks Katia. :-)))
Let's keep on living this thing called photography as Eugene said, thinking of how little time there is....